Tuesday 10 April 2018

Spring Continues

Sparrowhawk, Colyton, April '18 (Copyright T D Wright)
Sparrowhawk, Colyton, April '18 (Copyright T D Wright)
You can't sneak up on a Sparrowhawk! This beauty just happened to be resting right where I stopped my bike to catch my breath. Otherwise, the weekend brought my first Green Sandpiper of the Spring on the estuary from Tower Hide on Saturday 7th, it left the Axe Marsh channel to fly over the river and up Stafford brook; I met it again on Sunday from Coly Common hide on the near pool. I also saw my first Swallows x8 from Coly Common hide plus the 2 Egyptian Geese on Bridge Marsh which I think SW had first. Sand Martins have joined the throng on a daily basis. Up to 4 Goosander have been flying about the valley at dusk. At Colyton WTW, 7 Blackcaps were a nice accompaniment to the ubiquitous phyllosc diet, many Willow Warblers now intruding upon the Chiffchaff sites. In the field over the road 36 Linnet, 17 Mipit, 11 Pied Wagtail and a single White Wagtail flitted and scurried in front of the cows. Which brings us up to date - except that today looks to have brought more hirundines in. I must have a look this evening!

No comments:

Post a Comment