Saturday 3 June 2017

Riverine Birds

Dipper fledgling, undisclosed site nr. Colyton, Devon 29/05/2017 (Copyright T D Wright)
Grey Wagtail male, undisclosed site nr. Colyton, Devon 29/05/2017 (Copyright T D Wright)
Grey Wagtail (shame about ring!) Colyton area, Devon 29/05/2017 (Copyright T D Wright)
I got the old DSLR out of mothballs on Bank Holiday Monday and walked a couple of local Public Footpaths which often have wildlife close enough to photograph. I started with insects but then found a spot where these Grey Wags. were coming & going. I kept still and quiet so they weren't bothered by me. (Especially when you consider that this path is popular with dogwalkers. Some of those hounds hit the water so hard it sounds like a whale breaching!). A couple of Kingfisher flyovers were followed by one briefly perching on the rock that the wagtails seemed to like. Before I could swing my camera up however, an adult Dipper replaced the blue streak so I got some shots of that instead. Later, I came across a youngster from the nearby nest which was fantastic. We may not have had a great Spring for rarities & migrants here but it's great to see some scarce breeding birds doing so well.                                                               
Dipper (ringed again! They don't miss much round here, do they?), Colyton area, 29/05/2017 (Copyright T D Wright)
Grey Wagtail, Colyton area, 29/05/2017 (Copyright T D Wright)
Dipper, Colyton area, 29/05/2017 (Copyright T D Wright)
Recently fledged Dipper, Colyton area, 29/05/2017 (Copyright T D Wright)
Fledgling Dipper, Colyton area, 29/05/2017 (Copyright T D Wright)
It was getting dark by now but I like this wing-stretching shot even though it's blurry...

No comments:

Post a Comment